So since I have been using a lot of these lately, I finally decided to break down and try making my own. I had heard that they worked and since they are a bit pricey, I thought that I would give it a try.
I had saved the paper stips from my Glue Dots pkgs that I had bought. Then I cut them into strips to fit on an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of chipboard. I stapled the ends down and broke out the Aleene's Tack it Over and Over glue. I made dots of all sizes and thicknesses - some pop and big, some small for ribbon and such, and then some larger flat ones for flowers. I let them dry until they turned clear - around hours. Then I cut a piece of parchment paper to cover and VOILA! They work like a charm!
I am told to keep them covered because if you leave them out for a long time, they will dry out but they are just like the real thing!
So in terms of savings, it cost $3.99 for a bottle of glue. I got around 150 dots on this time around and probably can get at least 5 times that from a bottle of glue. For around 150 to 300 (depending on size) it costs around $4.99 at my LSS. That is a great savings!!!!